Monday, January 28, 2019

THOUGHTS BY A GRAVESITE


Whenever I am in Marietta on one of my business trips I will take a few minutes to stop at Jacob’s gravesite. A couple of years ago I wrote a blog about another one of my visits there. Here’s a link to it:  


Each time I’m there I will usually see one or two other people standing or sitting by the grave of their loved one.  I can only imagine what is going through their mind but here are some of my thoughts I am confronted with:

  • His smile
  • His laugh
  • His love for life
  • The nights together at home
  • Our visits at Shorter, seeing his immense joy at being there
  • His admiration of his older brother
  • His devotion to his big sister
  • His truly ‘undying’ love for his mother and father
  • His love for God
  • The hilarious funeral service we had for his pet gerbil, Furball (picture the Cosby show & the goldfish funeral)
  • The numerous times I went on field trips and youth camps as a chaperone, so I could keep an eye on him
  • The social bullying he had to endure
  • His circle of friends that accepted him, supported him, and protected him
  • The improbable beginning of life in Philadelphia and the repeated visits there for open heart surgeries
  • The countless cardiologist visits in each city we lived in
  • The bantering he enjoyed with his cath lab nurses at Egleston
  • His ‘shark bite’ scar and his chest zipper
  • Pacemaker checkups via the phone
  • The times I had to give him shots (he claimed I enjoyed giving them to him entirely too much)
  • Those ‘calls’ that were followed by hospitals visits and bad news
  • Those hospital stays and long nights in sleeping rooms
  • The inner circle of friends who would bring ‘appropriate’ food to him that he could eat while in the hospital
  • Those that helped him with homework during his hospital stays
  • Those scenes of watching him rolled into the surgery prep room, wondering if we’d see him alive again
  • The two celebrations of successful heart transplants
  • Wondering what impact did he have on people
  • My wish that his nieces and nephews could have hugged him and played with him, to know him, not just our memories of him
  • Wondering what would he be doing now if he had lived
  • The flood of ‘what could have been’ thoughts
  • The overarching sense of immense and continuing loss
  • The promise of the resurrection and eventual reunion

Then looking at the path I will take back to the car … alone.

2 comments:

  1. Richard & Karen: I am so very overwhelmed with many emotions when I remember Jacob. My Brian is doing well--his heart problem was "resolved" in England mand years ago. God is good and just. I know that Jacob is smiling on all who knew and loved him!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Richard and Karen,
    My name is Hanna, I am a friend of Jacobs from high school. I felt the need to share Jacobs impact on my life with y’all. He truly was such a joy to hang out with! We always had a great time in chorus and at lunch. Jacob was ALWAYS making us laugh. He lit up the room and I think of him and his spirit often. “Because I knew you, I have been changed for good.” God Bless you both!

    ReplyDelete