Saturday, June 15, 2019

10 Years Ago ... as if it were yesterday




 Yesterday was the 10th anniversary of Jacob Blackburn Edfeldt's death.  If you follow this blog you know that I tend to write a tribute or remembrance on significant days of his life; his birthday on March 11, his second heart transplant on November 15, his first transplant on December 21, and his death on June 14.  Each entry is a way of  therapy as I remember him, honor him, and keep his memory alive for friends and family and to let others know what they missed in not knowing Karen’s and my son and Ben and Katie’s brother.

I was fully prepared to compose another blog entry as this 10th anniversary approached but when the day came the grief overwhelmed me to the point of having nothing to say. Katie and Andy, with their two precious children, came to help assuage the pain that yesterday brought and they did serve as a partial distraction to the emotional gloom of the day.  But as far as writing something meaningful and heartfelt, I did not have the mental acuity or the emotional energy to put fingers to keyboard.

But throughout the day, different people who knew Jacob  shared their words and memories and they filled my heart (and Karen’s as well) with gratitude and love.  So I am taking these words that mean so much to me and sharing them with all of you as we lost  someone and something special 10 years ago.

  • Jacob Edfeldt was my freshman roommate and quickly became my brother and closest friend. We fought like cats and dogs, but at the end of the day we always found common ground in each other.  He was the first real brother I ever had, and still one of the best I could ever ask for.
  • The key with him is that he never did anything for himself - it was always for the people around him - family, friends or strangers.
  • 10 years ago, we lost one of the most radiant, kind souls to ever walk the Earth.
  • Jacob who forever will be in our hearts as he touched us with his laughter and love.
  • I remember the time when we surreptitiously switched out new mattresses for our old ones in college
  • I remember playing Mario Kart in your dorm and you being incredibly good at it
  • A friend to all showed us what a strong and faithful friend and follower of Christ looks like.
  • In honor of your memory we named our 2nd son Raleigh Jacob. We can't wait to tell him one day about his middle name and the man that inspired it.
  • My time at Shorter College irrevocably changed my life and Jacob was an absolutely huge part of it.
  • Jacob had this beautiful balance of being kind, patient, gracious, and forgiving while never backing down to what he knew be true added to an incredible level of strength and determination in everything he did.
  • You are one of two people who influenced me to become a nurse and you made my time at college so much happier and better.
  • You surprised me constantly; i adored your laughter, your spirit, your kindness and strength, your honesty and truth, the singing!
  • He is an amazing person with a booming voice, great sense of humor, and a kind and loyal heart; he was wise beyond his years and made everyone he met just a little bit better.
  • Words can’t describe how much Jacob Edfeldt meant to me and still makes a huge impact on me through his love of life, humor and grumpiness, and dedication to his people.
  • I miss his huge smile and laugh, deep and gruffly voice, and witty sarcasm.
  • I find myself from time to time talking out loud like you are in the room listening to my problems and trying to help me through the day.
  • I knew you were a special person and I know God placed you in my life for a reason and I thank him for that!
  • I loved every mess we got into and every laugh we shared!
  • The twinkle in his eye, the roaring laughter, the sometimes very dry humor, the sarcasm (love this trait), but the love for others was remarkable. He rarely talked about himself, although he good reason to, but always was concerned about others!
  • Jacob Edfeldt you will always have a special place in my heart. I will always love you and remember you
  • You were always willing to help others and share a God’s love with those you met! Whether it be the ninth ward in New Orleans or at Kidmo on Sunday mornings. You made every moment you were given count.
  • "Because I knew you I have been changed for good."
 


















No comments:

Post a Comment